Medium-sized research center which main purpose is to gain, interpret and integrate the knowledge of the Earth System.
Laboratory of Paleomagnetism
Research scope and fields of interest
- Paleogeographic and paleomagnetic studies of pre-Varisan and Varisan rock formations with emphasis of investigation of the Bohemian Massif, and especially the Prague Basin.
- Magnetostratigraphic high-resolution studies carried out on Jurassic/Cretaceous boundary, Cenozoic volcanic complexes and cave sediment sequences.
- Environmental magnetic reconstruction of Quaternary processes.
- Mineral magnetic studies of meteorites with emphasis to look closer on Solar System evolution and origins of life.
head of the laboratoryscientist
- Mgr. Petr Schnabl, Ph.D.
deputy head of the laboratory
- Ing. Petr Pruner, DrSc
- Laboratory simulations of space weathering - the role of iron nanoparticles in the reflectance spectra of asteroids , MŠMT , Tomáš Kohout
- Magnetic susceptibility meter for asteroid regolith composition studies (MSM) , ESA , Tomáš Kohout
- Paleomagnetism & geochemistry of volcanic rocks: Implications to palaeosetting and development of the Prague Basin (Late Ordovician – Early Devonian) , GACR , Petr Pruner
- Lacustrine and Coal Deposits of the Sokolov Basin, Eger Graben, as an Archive of Miocene Continental Paleoenvironments, Paleoclimate and Tectonics , GACR , Jaroslav Kadlec
- Low temperature magnetic properties of sulphides present in meteoritic material , GA AV , Tomáš Kohout
- Interplay of climate, human impact, and land erosion recorded in the natural archives of Strážnické Pomoraví CR) , GA AV , Jaroslav Kadlec