Medium-sized research center which main purpose is to gain, interpret and integrate the knowledge of the Earth System.
Department of Paleomagnetism
Research scope and fields of interest
- Paleogeographic and paleomagnetic studies of pre-Varisan and Varisan rock formations with emphasis of investigation of the Bohemian Massif, and especially the Prague Basin.
- Magnetostratigraphic high-resolution studies carried out on Jurassic/Cretaceous boundary, Cenozoic volcanic complexes and cave sediment sequences.
- Environmental magnetic reconstruction of Quaternary processes.
- Mineral magnetic studies of meteorites with emphasis to look closer on Solar System evolution and origins of life.
head of departmentscientist
- Ing. Petr Pruner, DrSc.
- Laboratory simulations of space weathering - the role of iron nanoparticles in the reflectance spectra of asteroids , MŠMT , Tomáš Kohout
- Paleomagnetism & geochemistry of volcanic rocks: Implications to palaeosetting and development of the Prague Basin (Late Ordovician – Early Devonian) , GACR , Petr Pruner