Medium-sized research center which main purpose is to gain, interpret and integrate the knowledge of the Earth System.
RNDr. Jan Borovička, Ph.D.
I investigate interactions between macrofungi (macromycetes, mushrooms) and geological bedrock. I am especially interested in ability of macrofungi to take up and accumulate trace elements in fruit-bodies (metals, metalloids, halogens, etc.). I focus on the role of macrofungi in biogeochemical cycling of trace elements and in influence of environmnetal and/or artificial factors; I also study influence of geological bedrock on biodiversity of macrofungi. Furthermore, I am interested in taxonomy of macrofungi, especially genera Psilocybe s.s., Russula, Amanita, Hebeloma and Alnicola s.l. I closely co-operate with many researchers from various institutions, namely with dr. Pavel Kotrba (chemical form of metals in fungal tissues, molecular-genetics aspects of metal accumulation, biotechnological applications) and dr. Milan Gryndler (experiments in vitro, applications of molecular genetics in geochemistry). Other co-workers: dr. Martin Mihaljevič (lead isotopes and their applications); dr. Miroslav Oborník (molecular phylogeny of macrofungi); dr. Colin Dunn (biogeochemistry); dr. Tomáš Cajthaml (soil microbiology), etc. I also study chemical behavior of some elements in the environment, especially in soils - I focus on silver, gold and uranium. As the last research field, I mention my interest in biogenic opals - phytolits - and their chemical composition. At the Institute of Geology, I mostly deal with soil analysis and analytical methods ICP-EOS a ICP-MS.
I am partly employee at the Nuclear Physics Institute, CAS, where I use and extraordinary analytical tool - instrumental neutron activation analysis (INAA) which is particulary suitable for determination of trace elements in macrofungi.
- Borovička J., Řanda Z. (2007): Distribution of iron, cobalt, zinc and selenium in macrofungi. Mycol. Progress 6 (4): 249-259.
- Borovička J., Řanda Z., Jelínek E. (2006): Antimony content of macrofungi from clean and polluted areas. Chemosphere 64: 1837-1844.
- Borovička J., Řanda Z., Jelínek E., Kotrba P., Dunn C.E. (2007): Hyperaccumulation of silver by Amanita strobiliformis and related species of the section Lepidella. Mycol. Res. 111: 1339-1344.
- Borovička J., Dunn C.E., Gryndler M., Mihaljevič M., Jelínek E., Rohovec J., Rohošková M., Řanda Z. (2010): Bioaccumulation of gold in macrofungi and ectomycorrhizae from the vicinity of the Mokrsko gold deposit, Czech Republic. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 42: 83-91.
- Borovička J., Kotrba P., Gryndler M., Mihaljevič M., Řanda Z., Rohovec J., Cajthaml T., Stijve T., Dunn C.E. (2010): Bioaccumulation of silver in ectomycorrhizal and saprobic macrofungi from pristine and polluted areas. Science of the Total Environment 408 (13): 2733-2744.
- Borovička J., Noordeloos M.E., Gryndler M., Oborník M. (2010): Molecular phylogeny of Psilocybe cyanescens complex in Europe, with reference to the position of the secotioid Weraroa novae-zelandiae. Mycological Progress DOI 10.1007/s11557-010-0684-3.
- Gryndler M., Egertová Z., Soukupová L., Gryndlerová H., Borovička J., Hršelová H. (2010): Molecular detection of Entoloma spp. associated with roots of rosaceous woody plants. Mycol. Progress 9 (1): 27-36.
- Gryndler M., Borovička J., Gryndlerová H., Gryndler E. (2008): Fructification of Langermannia gigantea in artificially inoculated field soil. Czech Mycol. 60: 231-242.
- Borovička J. (2008): The wood-rotting bluing Psilocybe species in Central Europe – an identification key. Czech Mycol. 60 (2): 173-192.